Sony Corporation of America, located in New York, NY, is the U.S. headquarters of Sony Corporation, based in Tokyo, Japan. Sony's principal U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics Inc., Sony Mobile Communications (USA) Inc., Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC., Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., Sony Music Entertainment, and Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC. With some 900 million Sony devices in hands and homes worldwide today, a vast array of Sony movies, television shows and music, and the PlayStation Network, Sony creates and delivers more entertainment experiences to more people than anyone else on earth.
Sony Corporation of America currently has an opening for a Senior Applied Research Engineer in our U.S. Research Center located in San Jose, CA. This position is responsible for researching and developing image processing, machine learning, and computer vision algorithms for new Sony products.
Responsibilities will include investigating and utilizing complex engineering and mathematical principles to develop core technologies, compose algorithm structures and find solutions to problems. This will include assessment and improvement of algorithm performance on a variety of platforms. This position also requires the engineer to analyze and determine system standards and test procedures. As a Senior Applied Research Engineer this individual will be responsible for writing invention disclosures for developed algorithms and will work with patent attorneys to secure intellectual property.
This individual will work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors and demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Providing
- Ph.D. Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Applied Mathematics or related field, is required
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of related experience
- Knowledge and experience in deep learning, computer vision, and image processing are required
- Previous research work in related areas such as digital camera signal processing, machine learning, content-based video/image analysis, object segmentation, and knowledge of human visual system are highly preferred
- Excellent programming skills in C/C++, Python and MATLAB are required, knowledge of machine learning libraries such as Caffe, TensorFlow, PyTorch is essential
- Excellent communication skills are required
- Linux experience is a plus
- Research and assess current technologies
- Perform feasibility studies to validate capability and functionality
- Create new concepts from initial design to market release
- Document all phases of research and development.
- Draft and submit intellectual property.
- Draft and submit professional articles for technical journals as required
- Offer advanced technical expertise to design and develop algorithms and software applications
- Create new technical and domain expertise and apply to products and problems
- Manage and maintain current algorithms and software applications
- Assess and write code to improve or extend algorithms and software applications
- Determine and resolve complex application issues and bugs
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.